Head of Marketing, Communications and Visitor Experience
Deadline to Apply
SEP 13 2023
The Power Plant is currently seeking a driven, strategic, passionate and goal-oriented Head of Marketing, Communications and Visitor Experience to play a key role in the implementation of the gallery’s Marketing, Communication and Visitor Experience strategies in order to develop and maintain The Power Plant’s role as one of Canada’s leading contemporary art galleries that is also recognized internationally as a centre of excellence.
Position Title: Head of Marketing, Communications and Visitor Experience
Reporting to: Director, The Power Plant
Direct Reports: Assistant Manager: Marketing & Communications, Digital Content Coordinator, Creative Services Coordinator, Assistant Manager: Visitor Experience
Type of Employment: Contract-13 Months (Maternity Leave Replacement)
- Implement branding and marketing strategies for The Power Plant and its programs, products, and services, ensuring high levels of brand awareness among stakeholders both nationally and internationally.
- Develop communications strategies, including institutional and program specific strategies, to ensure the gallery and its programs are effectively communicated and promoted to diverse audiences and groups.
- Optimize all revenue sources, including earned revenue, ticket sales, wholesale and retail services, venue rentals and special events, corporate sponsorships, memberships, and individual donations, as well as government grants and foundation grants. Prepare written evaluations, final reports, and financial reconciliations.
- Develop and implement partner development marketing and communications strategies aimed at growing the social and cultural relevance of the gallery and advocacy and support for its programs nationally and internationally.
- Develop and implement a new Digital Media Strategy as well as manage the website and other electronic communications and implement strategies to ensure targets are met. Oversee social media scheduling and implementation.
- Lead all press, influencer, and public relations activities to promote the gallery’s brand, exhibitions, and public programs. Actively pitch and develop relationships with the press across applicable verticals.
- Lead Front of house design and visitor experience, developing the look and feel for the FOH and work alongside appropriate teams to design and implement changes.
- Design a new visitor experience and aligning it to TPP’s vision and mandate. Lead team in alignment and consistency in FOH experience.
- Maintain the appearance of the Shop through visual merchandising Develop retail strategies to promote and develop revenue from shop sales Oversee the creation, design, and roll out of visuals for the gallery and online shop.
- Create a visitor experience that aligns with TPP’s vision and mandate, oversee the training and development of GA staff, under the direction of the Assistant Manager: Visitor Experience, introducing new ways to engage with visitors and communicate with them, as well as teaching basic safety and customer service skills.
- Manage the production of Communications, Marketing and Visitor Experience publications and collateral, compile copy, and negotiate media buys, coordinate print processes to ensure targets and deadlines are met.
- Manage sponsorship agreements and fulfillment plans for recognition in print and online marketing materials. Establish and nurture positive relationships with stakeholders, sponsors, partners, donors and foundations. Approve Photo and Video collateral and oversee processes.
- Keep current on marketing trends and tactics. Measure results and evaluate effectiveness of the marketing plan for each program and project upon completion, using both quantitative and qualitative analysis. Liaises with other departments and organizations of a similar nature.
- With the Development department, develop and implement donor programs and events marketing strategies to maximize membership and donor enrolment, sponsor and donor satisfaction and engagement with The Power Plant. Use Tessitura database to obtain data for sales analysis and develop information capture strategies. Work with external PR agencies to ensure positive, effective event coverage. Manage the department budget. Reviews requisition for items and approves within budgetary guidelines.
- Post-secondary graduate in an arts, marketing or communication program with a minimum of 4 years’ related experience, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Proven experience in sponsorship, customer service, communications and marketing in the private sector as well as experience with government and foundation granting procedures and individual giving and membership campaigns is required.
- Must possess excellent writing and presentation skills, and exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to develop effective partnerships as well as to persuade and negotiate.
- Must be a strategic thinker, highly motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be organized and able to manage multiple priorities and projects with a keen eye for detail.
- Must be computer literate with excellent word processing skills, knowledge of graphics and image editing software, print production and standards.
- Hands-on experience in a visual arts organization and/or contemporary art gallery is an asset.
- Knowledge of contemporary art, Canadian artists, international artists and trends is an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of French is an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis. We are unable to sponsor employment visas.
- The Power Plant recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks associated with COVID-19. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses) with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
How to Apply
The Power Plant is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds to apply. Applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria for this position, and your salary expectations.
To apply, please submit your application to email@example.com by no later than September 13, 2023. Please quote TPP Head of Marketing and Communication and Visitor Experience in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.